Search This Blog

03 September 2015

MLA Format and Essay Writing Review

As you begin to write your first mini-research paper, I wanted to review a few items of importance. 

Organizing the structure of an essay has been a real struggle for students in the past. You will find three pages below from Essay Architect by Kristen Bowers, M.Ed. The link will provide you with several explanations for each components of an essay and various graphic organizers to help you structure your essay. 

Another area of concern is using MLA formatting correctly. It is my personal belief that Purdue's Online Writing Lab (OWL)Purdue's Online Writing Lab (OWL) is the best resource for checking you citations. 

In addition to a Works Cited page, you are expected to use in-text citations. If you do not, you will receive a zero for accidental plagiarism and have to do an alternative assignment. 

Here is a video from a teacher who is far greater than I; although, he still uses Purdue's OWL as his source for information. 


Learning to use proper MLA format is not easy. I had to learn another format called APA when I was in grad school. I screamed and cried a lot simply because of the slight differences. However, I used my resources wisely to double check my formatting and citation because I did not want to have an F on my transcript, nor did I want to lose all of the money that I had put into grad school. 

Plagiarism is no joke in the big world.


You can find this lovely reference guide right here: MLA Style Guidelines Overview Poster





No comments:

Post a Comment