Search This Blog

11 November 2015

Memoir: Detailed Outline

The Format of a Detailed Outline for Your Memoir 


Starshine Supernova

Ms. Hatfield

English II, 5th Period


2 November 2015

Title: 
Title
           Main Idea:

           Theme: 

I.           Basic Situation 

a.      Grabber/Hook

b.      Setting/Background Information

c.       Thesis Statement




II.           Rising Action ParagraphsYou should have several body paragraphs that should include the elements of a plot like a few pieces of rising action, the climax, and falling action). Transitions will be extremely important. Below is a video to help you with transitions. 

a.      Topic Sentence

b.      Supporting Details/Actions/Dialogue

c.       Supporting Details/Actions/Dialogue

d.      Supporting Details/Actions/Dialogue



This is to help you with your transitions. 




III.               Conclusion (Tie up any loose ends, explain the resolution, and discuss the lesson learned/moral)

a.      Falling Action

b.      Resolution

c.       Lesson/Moral



Example Detailed Outline for Your Memoir



Title: If I Could Only Thank You for One Thing

Main Idea: The main idea of my memoir is surviving my grandmother’s illness and death.

Theme: Lessons of love never fade.

I.                                 Introduction

a.      Grabber/Hook: "You’re gonna have-ta come down from that tree some time," she said as she waved a switch in my direction.   

b.       Setting/Background Information:
                                                               i.      Hattiesburg, Ms.
                                                             ii.      Description of Grandma and our relationship
1.       Childhood Relationship
2.       Transition into an Adult Relationship 

c.       Thesis Statement: My grandma rarely got sick; when she did, she treated it with a mixture drugstore medicine and “old timey” remedies. She hated going to the doctor and would try every ounce of Charlatan’s snake oil before she would resign herself to an actual physician’s visit. She had just been dancing at the V.F.W. the Friday before, so certainly it wasn’t a big deal in her mind. She was insistent with every conversation that it was a "nasty virus" that was ailing her. 



II.                  Body Paragraph - Rising Action #1 
a.      Topic Sentence - Thanksgiving was the first opportunity to make the eight hour drive to see my grandmother. I was not prepared for what I saw when I walked through the same door that I had walked through my whole life. 

b.      Supporting Details/Actions - Describe her physical appearance

c.     Supporting Details/Actions - Describe my feelings

d.     Supporting Details/Actions - The Moment of Massive Denial 

III.                    Body Paragraph - Rising Action #2

a.      Topic Sentence - After dismissing my aunt, I started to take care of my grandmother. It was within minutes that I realized that I could not save her; in fact, something was incredibly wrong. 

b.      Supporting Details/Actions - The Accusation of Attempted Murder

c.       Supporting Details/Actions - Hospital E.R. 

d.      Supporting Details/Actions - Escaping to Walmart 

IV.              Body Paragraph - Climax 

a.      Topic Sentence - As I drove to the hospital, I rehearsed what I was going to say for my last goodbye to my grandmother. 

b.      Supporting Details/Actions - Advice from a Friend. 

c.       Supporting Details/Actions - The Conversation 

d.      Supporting Details/Actions - Her Final Padded Touch 

V.                Conclusion - 

a.      Falling Action - As I drove home, I grieved relentlessly because I knew that I would never my grandmother again, I would never feel her hands again. 

b.      Resolution - She died on January 2, 2011. 


c.       Lesson/Moral - Look for lessons of love in all moments of adversity. 


No comments:

Post a Comment